Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Society of Children Book Writers and Illustrators

In this post, I thought I'd talk a little about the Society of Children Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI).  This is a GREAT resource for those starting out on the path to publishing children's books.  This organization offers so much information about the children’s book publishing business.  Although you have to purchase a membership, if you are serious about publishing, it is a beneficial investment. 

Check out the website: http://www.scbwi.org/

Through this website, you can find out about the region that serves where you live, upcoming conferences (around the world), as well as information about speakers and school visits, possible funding opportunities for writers and illustrators, classes, and an entire library full of resources.  It was through SCBWI that I was able to find a critique group that has helped me strengthen my writing and critiquing (which is very important to the process of revision) skills.  I have already attended two conferences, and I plan to attend many more as they come up, which I plan to talk about in later blogs.

Okay.  Done with my "sales pitch".  But in all seriousness, the SCBWI is something that I believe in.  I certainly feel that it is something that has moved me closer to my dream of publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment