Sunday, March 11, 2012

Past Point's from the Published--Mira Reisberg

October 8th, 2011

Mira Reisberg
Today, I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Dr. Mira Reisberg while participating in one of her full day workshops.  Dr. Reisberg has illustrated several books including Uncle Nacho’s Hat, Where Fireflies Dance, and Baby Rattlesnake, to name a few.  Below are her answers to my “Points from the Published” interview.

1.      What was your path to publishing a book?

 “Like many things, I fell into it.  It’s an unusual story.  A publisher saw an exhibition of my artwork.  She’d been looking for illustrators for a book about change, and had a hard time finding one.  My art was intense and colorful, and told stories.  The publisher, named Harriet Rohmer, was the founder and publisher for Children’s Book Press.  She asked me if I wanted to do a book and I said yes so I illustrated my first book Uncle Nacho’s Hat.  The book has been reprinted in many languages, was a Reading Rainbow book, got a Unicef Award Citation, and was one of the first bilingual and multicultural children picture books.”
2.      How long have you been in this business?  When did you start?  When did you get your first book published?

“I have been in the business since early 1988.  Uncle Nacho’s Hat was published in 1989.”


3.      What inspires you and what motivates you to carry on?

“It isn’t the money!  I was raised with the prime directive to help make a better world, and I do that with my art, teaching, and children’s picture books.”



4.      Do you have another job or is writing your only job?

“I am a writer and illustrator.  I also do picture book consulting through Skype with people from all over the world.  I teach classes, like this one, and online classes like Hero Art Journey that teaches people how to draw and paint.  They learn about multiculturalism, world mythology, personal growth, and children’s books in fun ways.  I’ll be teaching my first online class on illustrating children’s picture books sometime next year.”

5.      Do you have an agent?  If yes, what steps did you take to obtain one?

“No.  A part of me would like one, but I’d have to find the right person.  I’ve heard horror stories, but it’s getting harder and harder to submit without an agent.”


6.      What advice would you give to a new writer?

“Read as many picture books as you can; buy Dr. Mira’s Children’s Picture Book Writing, Illustrating, and Publishing Workbook; joins the SCBWI; read books on the craft; take courses; refer people to www.herosartjourney.com and miraresiberg.com.  Also, you need to be persistent, have a good product, have patience, and make a beautiful journal called ‘Reflections and Comments’ and put a big heart on it.”
 
Thank you to Dr. Reisberg for taking the time to answer my “Points from the Published” questions, and giving me permission to post your answers! 


Here are some of Dr. Mira Reisberg's books!


 You can learn more about Dr. Reisberg and the vast knowledge she offers by visiting her websites:
www.herosartjourney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment